Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A bathroom in every room.


The reason most people don't encourage potty learning in the winter is because of clothes. That isn't an issue in our house because they are so rarely fully dressed. But man, getting them to use the bathroom, then get dressed, then put on snowsuits, mitten, hats, boots, etc only to get outside to hear "I peeing" is so frustrating.

They don't want to wear diapers so I have to try to plan our day around enough bathroom stops. However, several times a week I have to take them out of their beds asleep and put them in the car. Then they are stuck in the car for about 35-40 minutes while I pick up the older kids and drive to their afternoon activities. Then it is too late and we have a puddle. In the car seat (where it freezes) or the waiting room at gymnastics or some other not so ideal place like the grocery store entrance.

But they are doing great, expect when they are not. They've never had an accident at school, so that is good. And by summer, they'll be experts.

Oops, I hear "I pee on rug. On rug I pee." sigh..............

5 comments:

Susan said...

Well Heather-- we each had a potty in our car so we could pee just about anywhere, anytime. At one point we put large ziplocks in the container so we could just dispose of it anywhere, with the TP. Not much fun but funny times! We are still battling the nighttime peeing. Hayden has refused a pull up at any time since she was 2. REFUSES to wear them, even on vacation, in other people's beds, etc. We've had to adapt and hope this part is over soon. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I guess if you don't yet know how to read, playing with toys while on the pot is the next best thing.

-Ben

Anonymous said...

Heather

When I trained Owen and Ella and we were away from home I did pull-ups over their underwear - that way they still had big kid underwear, could fell if they were wet but saved me lots of mess - we still do this at night if they are very tired or away from home -

Anonymous said...

Heather

When I trained Owen and Ella and we were away from home I did pull-ups over their underwear - that way they still had big kid underwear, could fell if they were wet but saved me lots of mess - we still do this at night if they are very tired or away from home - Good Luck - Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Can you tell I am not very tech savy - also meant to tell you since we wore the pull-us over their underwear we re-used them un less they were wet - also first thing we did before going anywhere or when we got there was go to the bathroom- they didn't always need to go but prevented the mad dash to the restroom - potty training twins solo was a challenge but it like everything else passes so quickly.
Jennifer